Wednesday, May 25, 2005

25th May

Like most Wednesday today I had a school girls game. The guy in charge of rugby at school hadn't said anything to me so I assumed it was normal place at the normal time. Turned out I was wrong, fortunately there was a game there and both teams were happy for me to do the game.

It was actually a really hard game to do, not because of the running, or the slightly unpredictable school girls, but because both sides wore red and blue uniforms. One with vertical stripes, one with horizontal stripes. Suddenly figuring out who was on what team was very hard.

Overall I had a pretty good game. I know what I need to work on for Saturday, I lost sight of the ball at a couple of rucks only to have it suddenly come back on the other team's side. Almost certainly illegally, but I didn't see what happened. Plus once again I need to lift my workrate near the goal line. I got caught out of position for one try, and while I'm sure it was grounded, I should have been working harder and been much closer. I have to eliminate this from my game.

Unfortunately one player I suspect broke her ankle, she took a nasty fall and right away I knew she was hurt, and I blew play up shortly after to check on her. Luckily there were two St John's staff on hand to look after her. For some reason the girls seem to think I'm going to stop the game for anyone who stays down. Late in the second half another girl went down, half her team stopped and the other team scored a run away try. They can only blame themselves too, twice someone said, "Ref, injury" and twice I said, "we're playing on." She was nowhere near the play, and wasn't seriously hurt. Turns out it was cramp, painful I know but hardly worth stopping the game for.

I'm looking forward to this Saturday, I only have the one game to referee plus another one to touch judge but I know some parts of my game are really starting to come together and I know what I need to work on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home