Monday, May 23, 2005

Saturday 21st May

Why was rugby even on this week? The field I had was completely sodden. The cricket pitch was a complete bog and have several centimeters of water on the surface and the field started to cut up during my warm up. Not a good sign.

One of the coaches this week actually introduced me to his captain and told me he'd be the only one to speak to me during the game. Great, why can't we have more organised guys like this? The other team didn't seem interested in me at all, I had to ask for them to let me check their boots and the prematch briefing, urgh, I'm sure they didn't hear one word I said.

It was actually a pretty good match to referee, altho one team was clearly better than the other. The conditions didn't really lead to good rugby either. I thought I was going well, running good lines, keeping up with play.

The second half things went down hill a bit as both the players and I tired from trying to run on such a heavy ground. After one lineout which I ruled not straight I looked for the captain to ask what he wanted and couldn't find him. I look over to see him and the opposition halfback having a fairly heated discussion. I admonished the captain, "Maybe if you were paying attention to the game instead of talking trash you'd know what was going on. " and thought that would be the last of it.

It wasn't, with time up on the clock and his team up 41-o he got into yet another verbal slanging match, this time I was much more severe. "You're walking a very fine line skipper." Fortunately the game was over very shortly after that.

Upon further investigation I found that there is a law regarding that kind of on-field behaviour and I do have the power to deal with it. Needless to say, the next player who does something like that better watch out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home